Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Independence

I left Tucson on Saturday and headed home to Scottsdale. My mom wanted to see me before I left for New York, so here I am, trapped in this nonsensical place til Sunday. My mom leaves for North Carolina tomorrow morning, so I figured this would be the perfect time to complete my roadtrip to LA to visit the BFAers. Wednesday to Saturday in LA, Sunday to August in NY... sounds good right?

I have all the means of doing this trip... funding, a car, time and directions. The opposition? My mother. She doesn't want me to do it. "Think about the mileage, the waste of money... I'm uncomfortable with this." So what do I do? I'm 20 years old, I pay for my schooling and I'm pretty responsible all in all. But I'm not fully independent. What happens if I go to LA anyway? Are the consequences of still being in the nest worth it?

This makes me wish that I was fully independent. Financially, that is. A simple job would take care of that, right? What's harder is that I realize that this is just the beginning of the problem. What am I going to do in the future? We are entering an unstable industry where jobs come and go more frequently than lovers; how the hell am I going to be financially independent then? Now that's a sad realization. So if we don't reach a level of success in this industry that guarantees us a form of stability - a regular influx of projects - what the fuck are we to do?

Our friend Allen has been out of film school for a year now and he finally has a comfortable job with benefits at Starbucks. He loves it, but his concerns come in the idea that he just spent four years studying something that he currently isn't utilizing simply due to the need for stability. He needs to go to LA. He needs to find work. He needs to show his talent. But he needs to pay bills, too. You can't argue with that.

I guess the only thing we can do is decide what we need to do and do our best. I need to go to LA (now) and I need to work in film (later). All that's left is the action.

Less-Than-Three You, Monique
Listening To: a mix of Spoon and my brother, Ryan, spinning DnB.

No comments:

Post a Comment